In an unfortunate incident, six endangered Himalayan vultures died and two sustained critical injuries at Udmari village near Kalaigaon in Darrang district on Wednesday due to poisoning.
According to reports, the migratory vultures had eaten poisonous substances put in the carcass of a goat meant for a pack of stray dogs that had been causing menace in the village. The flock of eight Himalayan vultures fell seriously ill after consuming the carcass and started dying at around 1 pm. Wildlife activists of Udalguri district informed the PCCF (Wildlife, Assam) of the incident.
Veterinary aid was arranged for the dying birds by DN Hazarika, Circle Officer of Kalaigaon.
Six of the eight vultures died before any treatment could be arranged for them, while two have been rescued by the people of Udmari village and wildlife officials from Mangaldai Forest Division. The two are reportedly recovering well at Mangaldai.
The incident has caused a huge sensation in the district and the citizens have condemned the poisoning of the endangered birds. They have urged the Wildlife Department of Assam to launch an awareness programme in the villages frequently visited by migratory birds.